August 30, 2012
Volleyball opens up home schedule with Sooners
Week 2: Hampton Inn & Suites Northern Colorado Classic (Greeley, Colo.)
Northern Colorado notes | Big Sky notes
Matches 4-6: Northern Colorado will play host to Oklahoma, Air Force and North Dakota State in the Hampton Inn & Suites Northern Colorado Classic
When: Friday, Aug. 31 (7 p.m. MT) and Saturday, Sept. 1 (Noon and 7 p.m. MT)
Where: Butler-Hancock Sports Pavilion (2,992), Greeley, Colo.
Live stats: uncbears.com
TV: America One Sports (americaonesports.com)
All-time series: Northern Colorado is 0-1 vs Oklahoma; 51-13 vs. Air Force; and 21-24 vs. North Dakota State
NORTHERN COLORADO NOTEWORTHY:
- Northern Colorado has won eight matches in a row against Air Force. Overall, the Bears hold a 51-13 edge against the Falcons
- The Bears have only played Oklahoma once -- losing to the Sooners in 1981.
- It appears the Bears have left off right where they ended last season -- winning tournaments -- after getting off to a 3-0 start and taking home the Belmont Invitational. In the tournament, the Bears faced Big 12 foe TCU along with Belmont and Alabama A&M.
- In the season's opening weekend, the Bears lost just one set total -- getting off to their first 3-0 start since 2009. Senior Marissa Hughes was named Tournament MVP, while Kelley Arnold and Tambre Haddock were named to the All-Tournament team.
- After her outstanding performance in Nashville, Tenn., Hughes was named the Big Sky's Co-Player of the Week. It was the first time in her career that she earned that specific honor from the Big Sky.
- In the upcoming Hampton Inn & Suites Northern Colorado Classic, the Bears will face two teams -- Oklahoma and North Dakota State -- that finished last season inside the top-50 of the RPI rankings. With a win over TCU last weekend, which finished 56th in the rankings last season, the Bears have a great chance to increase their NCAA standing in the season's early weeks.
- Last season, Northern Colorado went 1-2 during its annual Hampton Inn & Suites Northern Colorado Classic. The Bears opened the tournament, and the season, with a sweep over UNLV but fell to UC Davis and Colorado in a pair of five-set thrillers.
- During Lyndsey Oates' tenure, Northern Colorado has gotten off to at least a 3-0 start two times (2008, 2009). The Bears' best start under Oates was 2008, when they opened up the season 6-0.
- The last time Northern Colorado opened up 3-0, the Bears went on to win the Big Sky Championship and earn a berth in the school's first Division I NCAA Tournament.