Bears Break Out The Brooms
April 13, 2008
POCATELLO, Idaho -- Three matches. Three days. Three wins.
Northern Colorado's women's tennis team began a three-city tour Friday with a victory against Utah State, and the Bears finished off the trip with a sweep Sunday following a solid 6-1 victory against Big Sky team Idaho State.
Northern Colorado (7-12, 3-5 in the Big Sky) earned the doubles point after Manuela Santos and Tabatha Knop got an 8-1 victory in the No. 1 slot, and Hannah LaForest and Tiffany Knop got another 8-1 victory at No. 3.
The Bears then won five of the six singles matches to pull away from the Bengals (2-9, 0-6).
Northern Colorado will next compete against in-state rival Colorado State at 2:30 p.m. (MT) Tuesday, April. 15, in Fort Collins. The match was originally scheduled to take place Wednesday, April 9, but wintry weather in the area forced a switch.
The Bears will play in the Big Sky Conference championship from Friday to Sunday, April 25 to 27.
Northern Colorado 6, Idaho State 1
1. Manuela Santos/Tabatha Knop (UNC) def. Lisel Lewis/Lauren Pascoe, 8-1
2. Valerie Espinosa/Sophie Dang (ISU) def. Jodi Ciarvella/Karen Groll, 8-4
3. Hannah LaForest/Tiffany Knop (UNC) def. Stephanie Roldan/Madison Snevily, 8-1
1. Tabatha Knop (UNC) def. Lewis, 6-3, 6-0
2. Tiffany Knop (UNC) def. Roldan, 6-2, 6-0
3. Santos (UNC) def. Dang, 6-3, 6-2
4. Groll (UNC) def. Pascoe, 2-6, 6-3, 10-1
5. Espinosa (ISU) def. Luiza Xavier, 6-0, 7-5
6. Ciarvella (UNC) def. Snevily by default