February 4, 2008
Women's Tennis Starts Season With Conference Match
Feb. 4, 2008
GREELEY, Colo. -- In the season opener for the Northern Colorado women's tennis team, the Bears fell 5-2 to Northern Arizona at Work Out West.
The Bears won at number one doubles with Tabatha Knop and Manuela Santos winning a hard-fought 9-7 battle, but the Lumberjacks won the two and three doubles for the point.
In singles action, Tabatha Knop won in three sets over Edit Suhajada, 5-7, 7-5, 6-1, while Santos was also victorious at the three position win straight sets over Steph Vallejos, 6-4, 6-2.
The Lumberjacks won in straight sets at 2, 4, 5 and 6 singles, though Jodi Ciarvella forced a tie-break at the number-five spot in the first set.
"We had a great start to our season today," said Head Coach Brenda Vlasak. "Everyone competed well for the most part. We always have areas of improvement and plan to work on these the next few days before our matches against CU and our Montana trip. Knop and Santos really performed well in doubles action, they worked well together and were very aggessive while closing net on most points."
Northern Colorado returns to the court on Wednesday at 3:00 p.m. against Colorado before facing Sam Houston State in a neutral match in Bozeman on Friday, Montana State on Saturday and Montana on Sunday.
Northern Arizona 5, Northern Colorado 2
1. Knop/Santos (NC) vs. Vial/VanGinkel, 9-7
2. Golovics/Suhajda (NAU) vs. Laforest/Groll 8-3
3. Oki/Vallejos (NAU) vs. Tiff Knop/Ciarvella, 8-2
1. Tabatha Knop (NC) vs. Edit Suhajada 5-7, 7-5, 6-1
2. Orsi Golovics (NAU) vs. Tiffany Knop, 6-2, 6-2
3. Manuela Santos (NC) vs. Steph Vallejos 6-4, 6-2
4. Stacey Pinchbeck (NAU) vs. Karen Groll, 6-3, 6-2
5. Paig Porter (NAU) vs. Jodi Ciarvella, 7-6 (2), 6-1
6 Leslie Vial (NAU) vs. Luiza Xavier, 6-1, 6-0