Soccer Preview: Nebraska-Omaha, Creighton
Northern Colorado notes | Big Sky Conference notes
GREELEY -- Northern Colorado Soccer is on the road again for Week 2 after starting the season against tough teams in the Colorado Cup. The Bears will travel to Omaha, Neb., to take on the Mavericks of Nebraska-Omaha and the Bluejays of Creighton.
The Bears and Mavericks butt heads at 2 p.m. on Friday, Aug. 30 at UNO Soccer Field. The matchup will be the ninth time the two have met, with the Bears owning the all-time series, 5-3-0. The Bears won the last meeting on Sept. 2, 2012, 2-1.
Northern Colorado will then travel across town to play at 2 p.m. on Sunday, Sept. 1 at Morrison Stadium. The Bears also hold the all-time series against the Bluejays, 3-2-1. UNC won the previous matchup on Sept. 16, 2011, 2-1.
The Mavericks come into the match 0-2-0 after being swept in its opening weekend. Nebraska-Omaha began its season at New Mexico State, falling 3-1. The Mavericks' lone goal came with 48 seconds remaining in the match when Katlyn Nimtz put a header into the net. The Mavericks then traveled to El Paso, Texas to take on UTEP on Sunday. Nebraska-Omaha was shutout in the loss, 2-0.
Creighton comes into the weekend winless after playing the Utah State Aggies and Boise State Broncos. The Aggies first shutout the Bluejays, 3-0. The Broncos followed in the footsteps and knocked off the Bluejays, 2-1. Paige Jarsombeck tied the game for the Blue Jays, 1-1, in the 82nd minute to push for overtime or a late game-winning goal. With three and a half minutes remaining, though, the Broncos were able to score the winning goal.
Game 1: Northern Colorado (0-2-0, 0-0-0 Big Sky) vs. Nebraska-Omaha (0-2-0, 0-0-0 Summit League)
When: 2:00 p.m. Friday, Aug. 30
Where: Omaha, Nebraska - UNO Soccer Field
Coaches: Bears - Tim Barrera (122-117-23 @ UNC) vs. Mavericks - Don Klosterman (201-74-12 @ UNO)
All-time series: Northern Colorado leads 5-3-0. The Bears are 2-1-0 on the road.
1999 Northern Colorado 4-2
2000 Northern Colorado 2-1
2000 Nebraska-Omaha 4-1
2001 Northern Colorado 3-2
2001 Nebraska-Omaha 1-0
2002 Nebraska-Omaha 5-1
2011 Northern Colorado 1-0
2012 Northern Colorado 2-1
Game 2: Northern Colorado (0-2-0, 0-0-0 Big Sky) vs. Creighton (0-2-0, 0-0-0 Big East)
When: 2:00 p.m. Sunday, Sept. 1
Where: Omaha, Nebraska - Morrison Stadium
Coaches: Bears - Tim Barrera (122-117-23 @ UNC) vs. Bluejays - Bruce Erickson (144-113-29 @ CU)
All-time series: Northern Colorado leads 3-2-1. The Bears are 1-2-0 on the road.
1989 Northern Colorado 4-0
2003 Creighton 3-1
2005 Tie 2-2 (2OT)
2007 Creighton 1-2
2009 Northern Colorado 2-1
2011 Northern Colorado 2-1
- Northern Colorado is now 17-11-1 in season openers in program history.
- Senior Natalie D'Adamio moved into 10th all-time in program history in saves againstthe Colorado Buffaloes on Aug. 23. She saved fives shots to make her total 87 following the match. She is currently 14 saves away from ninth place.
- D'Adamio enters 2013 as the reigning Big Sky Goalkeeper of the Year along with first team All-Conference honors.
- The Bears return five student-athletes from the 2012 Big Sky All-Conference Team.
- Sophomore Adrienne Jordan joined D'Adamio on the Big Sky first team, the first Bears freshman named to the team since joining Division I.
- Senior Danielle Birdsall (missed 2012 with injury) won Big Sky Offensive Player of the Year in 2010.
- In the Bears and Mavericks last meeting in 2012, senior Brittany Dunn and sophomore Rebecca Lancia scored the two goals in the win.
- Birdsall scored one of the two goals and is one of five athletes to remain on the Bears team who played in 2011 against Creighton.
- The Bears ended 2012 with a conference record of 4-2-3, finishing one point shy of making the Big Sky Tournament.
- Northern Colorado won its first ever Big Sky regular season title in 2011 after posting a 4-1-2 conference record.
- The Bears began their transition to the NCAA Division I level in 2003-04 and were postseason eligible for the first time in 2007-08.