August 26, 2011

Bears, Dolphins end in 0-0 draw at Jackson Stadium

Season stats

GREELEY – For the second time in the season's first three games, the Northern Colorado women's soccer program found itself involved in an overtime match.

This time however, even with the extra 20 minutes added on, neither team could find a goal, as the Bears (0-2-1) and Jacksonville (1-1-1) finished with a 0-0 draw.

"I thought tonight was a fair result," Northern Colorado coach Tim Barrera said. "Jacksonville is a good team and I thought both teams had plenty of opportunities.

"I thought we created a few good opportunities, we just have to do a better job of finding the back of the net. I thought the kids worked hard and put in the effort, our finishing is just lacking a bit."

Good scoring chances were tough to come by for both teams, as the two defenses held strong throughout the match. The Bears were able to get off 21 shots, but only seven of those were on frame.

The first real scoring opportunity for the Bears came in the 18th minute, when senior Kimmie Feidler just missed a JJ Wykstra cross that landed in the box.

The two teams battled to a standstill for not only the rest of the half, but much of the second period as well.

In the 79th minute, Bears' goalkeeper Kirstin Salminen kept the score knotted at zero by making a save on a shot by Jacksonville's Eva Leeper. The Dolphins forward found some space inside the box and let rip a shot from 13 yards out, but was turned away with a diving effort from Salminen.

For the remainder of regulation time, the two teams could not muster any sort of threatening attack.

Almost halfway through the first overtime period though, Northern Colorado's Danielle Birdsall broke away from the defense and let go a shot that was met by Dolphin's goalkeeper Sarah Sierra, who knocked the ball away safely.

Just as the final overtime period was wrapping up, the Bears mounted one more offensive push, as Alexsys Tamayo bulldogged her way past several defenders and took a shot from just inside the box. The ball sailed over the head of Sierra and just over the crossbar.

The game was a physical one, as the two teams earned 21 total fouls. Wykstra was also given a yellow card in the 87th minute while attempting to score on a corner kick.

The Bears will wrap up their weekend at Jackson Stadium on Sunday, when they play host to the Utah State Aggies. Kickoff is set for noon.