Women's basketball preview: at Utah
Northern Colorado (1-1) at Utah
Tuesday, November 20, 2012 • 7 pm Mountain •
Huntsman Center (15,000)
Bears Quick Notes
• Northern Colorado is searching for its first-ever win against Utah, losing the six previous meetings. This is the first time the two teams have met in seven years, however.
• Senior guard Victoria Timm has led the team in rebounds in each of the first two games with eight.
• The Bears have out-rebounded each of their first two opponents. Last season the team had more boards than the opponent in 23 of 32 games.
• Junior guard D'shara Strange was named both the Big Sky Conference Player of the Week and the College Sports Madness Big Sky Player of the Week after leading the Bears with 20 points and six steals in the win against Air Force.
• Northern Colorado has been picked to finish second by both the coaches and the media in the Big Sky Conference this season. The Bears received one first-place vote by the coaches and four from the media. Idaho State was picked to repeat as champions.
• The 68-44 win over Air Force made Head Coach Jaime White the all-time winningest coach in Northern Colorado history with 83 victories. She passes Janet Schafter, who won 82 from 1985-91.
• Junior guard D'shara Strange has been named Big Sky Preseason Player of the Year by College Sports Madness, while Head Coach Jaime White is Preseason Coach of the Year and Bay'lee Purdy is the Preseason Freshman of the Year in the league. Strange was also named to the website's First Team, while senior Lauren Oosdyke is on the Second Team.