No. 28 Colorado Takes Doubleheader In Battle With Bears
April 4, 2006
BOULDER, Colo. - The University of Northern Colorado men's tennis team lost a doubleheader by scores of 6-1 and 7-0 to the No. 28 Colorado Buffaloes at the CU Tennis Complex on Tuesday.
The Bears (4-12) lost hard-fought matches to a CU team just recently reached its highest ranking in program history and is 3-0 in the Big 12. Northern Colorado was able to get a couple of victories on the day, however.
In the first dual, Kollman Gearhart and Austin Nunn took down CU's Justin Rofel and Charlie Yemm in No. 3 doubles, 8-6, but it wasn't enough as the Buffaloes won the first two doubles match to win the point.
In the No. 6 singles match, Nunn closed out the dual on a high note for the Bears as he beat Colorado's Karthik Raju. CU won the first dual 6-1.
Colorado (14-5) gave the Bears a tough time in the second dual, as the Buffaloes won every match for the 7-0 victory.
In No. 3 doubles, Nunn and an injured Gearhart lost a gritty 8-5 match to Colorado's Peter Bjork and Yemm.
The Bears will return to action at 2:30 p.m. next Tuesday as they host the No. 62 Denver Pioneers.
No. 28 Colorado 6, Northern Colorado 1
1) Bundalo/Molnar (CU) def. Minihan/Weyhrich 8-2
2) Tsuda/Zelezny (CU) def. Fallico/Tschetter 8-2
3) Gearhart/Nunn (UNC) def. Rofel/Yemm 8-6
1) Marko Bundalo (CU) def. Chris Minihan 6-2, 6-3
2) Jan Zelezny (CU) def. Peter Weyhrich 6-0, 6-0
3) Eric Molnar (CU) def. Vinnie Fallico 6-2, 6-3
4) Charlie Yemm (CU) def. Paul Tschetter 6-1, 6-2
5) Geoffrey Chizever (CU) def. Kollman Gearhart 6-1, default
6) Austin Nunn (UNC) def. Karthik Raju 6-3, 6-1
No. 28 Colorado 7, Northern Colorado 0
1) Tsuda/Zelezny (CU) def. Minihan/Weyhrich 8-1
2) Chizever/Dvorak (CU) def. Fallico/Tschetter 8-5
3) Bjork/Yemm (CU) def. Nunn/Gearhart 8-5
1) Peter Bjork (CU) def. Chris Minihan 6-1, 6-0
2) Chad Tsuda (CU) def. Peter Weyhrich 6-1, 6-1
3) Geoffrey Chizever (CU) def. Vinnie Fallico 6-3, 6-2
4) Marek Dvorak (CU) def. Paul Tschetter 6-1, 6-3
5) Karthik Raju (CU) def. Kollman Gearhart 6-4, 4-1 retired
6) Justin Rofel (CU) def. Austin Nunn 6-2, 6-1