Greyhounds Outpace Bears In Singles Play
April 2, 2006
INDIANAPOLIS - The University of Northern Colorado men's tennis team dropped four of five singles matches to the University of Indianapolis, helping the Greyhounds to a 5-2 win on Sunday.
The Bears (4-10) were on their way to a 1-0 lead after Paul Tschetter and Vinnie Fallico grabbed an 8-3 victory in No. 2 doubles over UI's Justin Linder and Alan Dowell. Then Kollman Gearhart and Austin Nunn picked up an 8-5 win in No. 3 doubles over UI's Dustin Guthrie and Joshua Greenlee.
But Indianapolis came back to win four out of the next five singles matches for the win. The lone Bear to record a win was Gearhart, who beat UI's Matthew Vought 6-2, 6-1.
Freshman Vinnie Fallico put himself in position to win his No. 3 singles match when he won the second set 6-3 after dropping the first set by the same score. But Dowell was able to close out the final set 6-3.
Northern Colorado will return to action against No. 35 Colorado at 1 p.m. on Tuesday in Boulder, Colo.
Indianapolis 5, Northern Colorado 2
1. Ketan Saggar/Jan Stastny (UIndy) def. Chris Minihan/Peter Weyhrich; 8-6
2. Paul Tschetter/Vinnie Fallico (UNC) def. Justin Linder/Alan Dowell; 8-3
3. Kollman Gearhart/Austin Nunn (UNC) def. Dustin Guthrie/Joshua Greenlee (UIndy); 8-5
1. Jan Stastny (UIndy) def. Chris Minihan; 6-4, 6-3
2. Ketan Saggar (UIndy) def. Peter Weyhrich; 6-1, 6-4
3. Alan Dowell (UIndy) def. Vinnie Fallico; 6-3, 3-6, 6-3
4. Joshua Greenlee (UIndy) def. Paul Tschetter; 6-2, 6-3
5. Kollman Gearhart (UNC) def. Matthew Vought; 6-2, 6-1
6. Justin Linder (UIndy) def. Austin Nunn; 7-5, 7-5