Bears Rip Apart Jaguars, 5-2
April 1, 2006
INDIANAPOLIS - The University of Northern Colorado men's tennis team took advantage of stellar singles play to claim a 5-2 win over IUPUI on Saturday.
The Bears (4-9) came back to win five of six singles matches after dropping all three doubles matches, which gave the Jaguars a 1-0 lead.
Peter Weyhrich got the Bears going in No. 2 doubles with a 6-3, 6-2 win over IUPUI's Ross Gehlhausen.
IUPUI took a 2-1 lead after winning No. 5 singles, but freshman Vinnie Fallico fought back by taking down the Jaguars' Ronnie Pedro 6-2, 6-3 in No. 3 singles.
Paul Tschetter put Northern ahead for good after scoring a 7-6 (6), 6-3 win over IUPUI's Greg Fallowfield in No. 4 singles.
Austin Nunn extended the Bears' lead to 4-2 when he claimed a three set victory over the Jaguars' Zach Breneman. Nunn dropped the first set 6-0 but rallied back to win the next two sets 6-4, 6-4.
Senior Chris Minihan wrapped up the win for Northern Colorado with a 6-3, 5-7, 10-5 victory in No. 1 singles over IUPUI's Javier Saab.
The Bears will continue their swing through Indiana with a 9 a.m. match tomorrow against the University of Indianapolis.
Northern Colorado 5, IUPUI 2
1. Javier Saab/Zach Breneman (I) def. Chris Minihan/Peter Weyhrich (UNC), 9-7
2. Ross Gehlhausen/Tsuyoshi Yamabe (I) def. Vinnie Fallico/Paul Tschetter, (UNC) 8-4
3. Ronnie Pedro/Greg Fallowfield (I) def. Kollman Gearhart/Austin Nunn, (UNC) 8-3
1. Chris Minihan (UNC) def. Javier Saab (I), 6-3, 5-7, [10-5]
2. Peter Weyhrich (UNC) def. Ross Gehlhausen (I), 6-3, 6-2
3. Vinnie Fallico (UNC) def. Ronnie Pedro (I), 6-2, 6-3
4. Paul Tschetter (UNC) def. Greg Fallowfield (I), 7-6 (6), 6-3
5. Tsuyoshi Yamabe (I) def. Kollman Gearhart (UNC), 6-0, 6-4
6. Austin Nunn (UNC) def. Zach Breneman (I) 0-6, 6-4, 6-4
Order of finish:
Doubles - 3, 2, 1
Singles - 2, 5, 3, 4, 6, 1