Men's Tennis Drops Match At Montana State
BOZEMAN, Mont. – The Northern Colorado men’s tennis team struggled to find any rhythm at Montana State on Friday afternoon, falling 7-0 to the Bobcats in Big Sky Conference action.
Montana State (6-15, 2-4 Big Sky) jumped out to the early lead by winning the always important doubles point winning 8-1 at both number one and number two and 8-3 at number three for the 1-0 lead over the Bears (1-14, 0-7 Big Sky).
Sophomore Calix Van Lier took the second set to a tiebreaker after falling 6-1 in the opening set, but lost 7-6 (7) at number one singles to Pawel Turzanski. Freshman Connor Buchanan lost 6-1 in the first set at number four to Alberto Fuentes, but fought back to win 6-0 in the second set. Fuentes was up 4-0 in the third and deciding set when Buchanan defaulted.
The Bears conclude the 2010 season tomorrow at the University of Montana.
1. Pawel Turzanski (MSU) def. Calix Van Lier (NC) 6-1, 7-6 (7)
2. Fletcher Keyes (MSU) def. Ryan Lane (NC) 6-1, 6-0
3. Corey Smith (MSU) def. Robbie Edwards (NC) 6-1, 6-0
4. Alberto Fuentes (MSU) def. Connor Buchanan (NC) 6-1, 0-6, 4-0 default
5. Esteban Ferrero (MSU) def. Travis Day (NC) 6-3, 6-2
6. Myles Perkins (MSU) def. Andre Lepine (NC) 6-2, 6-4
1. Keyes/ Fuentes (MSU) def. Van Lier/ Edwards (NC) 8-1
2. Turzanski/ Smith (MSU) def. Day/ Buchanan (NC) 8-1
3. Ferrero/ Perkins (MSU) def. Lepine/ Lane (NC) 8-3