December 2, 2008
Bears Look For A Streak Against the Aztecs
GAME DAY NOTES: vs. San Diego State
- Date: Wednesday, Dec. 3, 2008
- Tip: 7:05 p.m. (MT)
- Location: Greeley, Colo.
- Venue: Butler-Hancock
- Promotions: None
- Television: BigSkyTV.org
- Radio: Bears Radio Network
1310 KFKA (Greeley)
- Talent: Troy Coverdale
- Live stats: none
- Web stream: 1310KFKA.com
- Series: SDSU, 2-1
- Last: NC, 62-56 at SDSU (1/9/08)
- Northern Colorado will look to even its all-time series with San Diego State with a win tonight. The game is the return half of a home-and-home between the Bears and the Aztecs. Northern Colorado won last season at SDSU 62-56.
- San Diego State enters tonight’s game on the heels of a victory in the 2008 Great Alaska Shootout. In the final, the Aztecs defeated Hampton, which defeated Big Sky team Portland State in the semifinal.
- The Bears enter the week first in the Big Sky Conference in scoring offense (78.5) -- after dropping 105 on Texas State last Saturday -- while San Diego State enters the week tied for 10th in the nation in scoring defense (52.7).
- Three Northern Colorado players scored in double figures in the teams’ meeting last year, and all three will be in uniform tonight -- Devon Beitzel (15), Jefferson Mason (14) and Taylor Montgomery (13).
- These teams have played three times. San Diego State holds a 2-1 advantage, but NC won the last meeting 62-56 in San Diego.
- Northern Colorado and San Diego State first met on Dec. 15, 1962, in Greeley. The Aztecs won 74-73 in overtime.
- The Bears’ victory last year against SDSU ended the Aztecs 13-game homecourt winning streak.
- Two of the teams’ three meetings have been decided six points or less.
ABOUT THE AZTECS
- Aztecs coach Steve Fisher is one of college basketball’s all-time greats. He’s led three teams to the Final Four and has won one national title (Michigan, 1989).
- San Diego State is looking to extend its road/neutral court winning streak to four games for the first time since the beginning of last season.
- Forward Kyle Spain (17.8 ppg/6.0 rbg) is the reigning Mountain West Conference player of the week after leading the Aztecs to the 2008 Great Alaska Shootout championship.