Baseball begins GWC Tournament Tuesday
Northern Colorado earned the fourth seed in the Great West Conference Tournament and will face Houston Baptist in the first round. The Bears and Huskies split the regular season series and the two teams have never met in the Great West Tournament before.
Sophomore designated hitter Colby Harrison, senior short stop Adam Hilker and freshman left fielder Jensen Park were all named to the Great West All-Conference Second Team. This is the second straight season Hilker has been named to the Second Team, while it's the first awards for both Harrison and Park.
Northern Colorado has won 25 games this season, surpassing last year's total of 24 victories. It is the third-straight season the Bears have won more than 20 games in a year.
Looking For 50
Northern Colorado's next victory will be the 50th for Head Coach Carl Iwasaki with the Bears. He won his 150th as a head coach with the first win in the series over Texas-Pan American.
Senior Adam Hilker is on a 19-game hitting streak for the longest active stretch on the team. His previous career long streak was 14 games with the final game of the 2011 season and the first 13 games in 2012. Hilker has been on base in all 53 games in which he's played this season and has only been without a hit in three of those 53 contests. Fellow senior Casey Coy tied his career-long hitting streak at 11 games over the weekend after hitting .500 in the series against Utah Valley.
Made To Be Broken
The 2012 team added two triples in the final regular season series against Utah Valley to bring its total to 38. The total leads the nation and breaks the school's single-season record of 28 previously held by the 1978 team. Senior Adrian Schenk hit both triples in the series and now leads the team with eight, which also ranks fifth amongst Division I players. Senior Casey Coy and freshman Jensen Park each have seven three-baggers, which is tied for 16th nationally.
Senior Adam Hilker is sandwiched between T.J. Berge (2008-11) and his father Jordan (1980-83) on the all-time hits list at Northern Colorado. Hilker ranks fourth with 214 hits, one behind Jordan Berge at 215. Fellow senior Tony Crudo became the seventh player in school history to record 200 hits as he stands at 201. The all-time record at Northern Colorado is 243 by Kevin Sandberg (2006-09).
We're Number One
For the third-straight week, Northern Colorado leads the nation in both triples (38) and triples per game (0.68). The team has already shattered the regular season record of 28 from the 1978 team.
Standing In Second
Senior right-handed pitcher Cameron Tallman pitched in three of the final four games of the season to bring his total number of appearances to 25 for the year, which is two shy of tying the record of 27, set last year by Brendan Hall. That brings Tallman's career total to 76 appearances, six shy of knotting the record of 82, held by Tyler Pearson (2004-07).
Taking The Extra Base
Of his 65 hits this season, senior Casey Coy has 25 for extra bases (39 percent). He leads the team with 17 doubles and has seven triples, both of which rank nationally. Coy is also second on the team with 31 walks and has been hit by a pitch a team-leading 14 times.
The win over North Dakota on April 28th marked the program's 1,500th victory. The Bears are now 1,507-1,163-3 all-time. The team also won their 50th game in Great West Conference action on Sunday at UND and are now 56-26 in the league's third year.
Utah Valley Recap
• The Bears were swept in a conference series for the first time in Great West Conference action, dropping all four games at Utah Valley.
• Senior Casey Coy (8-for-16) and junior Derek Baum (4-for-8) both hit .500 in the series and three of Coy's hits were doubles.
• Senior Adrian Schenk tied the school single-game record with two triples in the third game of the series.
• Junior Jake Johnson (4.0), senior Cameron Tallman (3.1) and senior Joe Willman (3.0) all pitched multiple innings without allowing an earned run.
• The Bears rank first in the nation in both triples (38) and triples per game (0.68).
• Northern Colorado ranks ninth in the country in batting average (.315) but is second in the Great West, trailing the national leader, Utah Valley (.349).
• The team is also ranked 10th in on-base percentage (.401), 12th in hits (591), 31st in hit by pitch (78), 36th in runs (350), 41st in slugging percentage (.426) and 54th in scoring (6.3).
• Individually, senior Adam Hilker ranks 22nd in batting average (.391) and 35th in hits (81).
• Senior Adrian Schenk now ranks fifth in triples (8) and 80th in batting average (.364). Senior Casey Coy and freshman Jensen Park are tied for 16th with seven triples each.
• Freshman Ryan Yamane is 29th in base on balls (41).
• Freshman Jensen Park also now ranks 18th with seven sacrifice flies.
• On the hill, sophomore Chris Hammer is 77th in complete games with three.
Player Of The Week
Northern Colorado has earned four Great West Conference Player of the Week awards this season. The Bears earned three straight with shortstop Adam Hilker (March 6), right fielder Adrian Schenk (March 13) and third baseman Tony Crudo (March 20) all garnering league honors. Hilker added his second award on May 15.